In 1900, the city granted a franchise to W. H. Wheeler Company of Beloit, Wisconsin to construct a waterworks and lighting system. When the system was complete in 1901, the city took over and established the Plymouth Water and Light Commission. The commission produced electricity from a coal fired plant until 1923, when the decision was made to purchase electric power from Eastern Wisconsin Electric Company of Sheboygan Wisconsin, now known as Alliant Energy. In 1932, the city constructed its first wastewater treatment plant, and in 1959, transferred the operation of its sewage utility to Plymouth Utilities. While a lot has changed over the years, the focus of the utility has not. Today, Plymouth Utilities offers its customers some of the lowest electric rates in Eastern Wisconsin – rates significantly lower than those in areas served by investor-owned utilities. Film footage of Plymouth Utilities employees from 1954 can be viewed on YouTube. The film was posted by Phil Nohl in February, 2016.
The beginning of Plymouth Utilities is traced back to 1895 when Plymouth Refrigerator, Water, Light and Power Company, a privately owned company began generating electricity for a few people from a water-powered mill.