The Common Council is the legislative branch of City government. The Common Council is the forum for review and debate of proposed ordinances, resolutions and policies proposed by the standing Council committees and boards and commissions. The most important legislation is the annual City budget. The Common Council is comprised of eight part-time alderpersons representing four aldermanic districts. Each alderperson serves a two-year term. The Council operates on a committee structure, with the following standing committees:
- Committee of the Whole (Entire Common Council)
- Finance & Personnel Committee (4 Council members and Mayor)
- Public Works & Utilities Committee (4 Council members and Mayor)
In addition to the Council committees, there are a number of boards and commissions that provide policy input to the Mayor and Common Council and are comprised of citizen members and alderperson representation. These bodies include the Plan Commission, Board of Park Commissioners, Redevelopment Authority and Library Board as prescribed by Wisconsin statutes. From time to time the City may also have “ad-hoc” committees like the “Utilities Building Committee”.
- Mayor Donald Pohlman
- District #1 – Diane Gilson
- District #1 – Greg Hildebrand
- District #2 – John Nelson
- District #2 – Jerry Matzdorf
- District #3 – Amy Odekirk
- District #3 – Bob Schilsky
- District #4 – Charles Hansen
- District #4 – Jim Wilson
Common Council Meeting Information
Regular meetings are held on the second and last Tuesdays of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the City Hall.